If you are searching for family-friendly ways to spend this 4th of July holiday, look no further! Here are 13 ideas for a fantastic, fun celebration around the Kansas City area.
Many area historical sites hold events on or around the 4th of July.
- Missouri Town 1855 offers an Independence Day Parade on July 4. Experience a celebration from the past, and join the parade through the village streets!
- The Kansas City Zoo is offering a “Red, White and Zoo” event. Active and retired military individuals enjoy free admission on Wednesday, July 4. In addition, the families of active and retired military individuals will get $1 off regular admission.
- Mahaffie Stagecoach Stop and Farm Historic Site offers a variety of Independence-Day themed events on Wednesday and Thursday.
In addition to the 19th-century style fireworks at Mahaffie, Kansas City offers numerous other fireworks displays:
- Longview Lake offers a concert, kids zone with games and inflatables, military salutes, food trucks, and fireworks! Note that coolers, grills and pets are not permitted.
- In Leawood, the festivities begin with children’s activities and food vendors, followed by a concert and fireworks.
- This year Powell Gardens will be open all day on July 4.
- Corporate Woods offers free parking, music, children’s activities, food vendors and fireworks.
Finally, involving kids in the 4th of July can also be a blast! Check out these fun DIY ideas to celebrate:
- Up for a game of patriotic bingo?
- Keep them busy throughout the day! Find free printable 4th of July scavenger hunts here and here.
- Stretch vocabulary skills with a word search.
- This hands-on activity for star-spangled slime could be messy but provides hours of entertainment!
- Another activity to consider: Free printable patriotic coloring sheets.
- Make your own fireworks – albeit safely – with straw firework art!
We have updated this blog post, originally written in June 2016, for timeliness and detail.