By Todd Kangas, MPE President
The annual MPE Homeschool Conference and Curriculum Fair is right around the corner, coming April 21-23 to the KCI Expo Center in Kansas City, Missouri. I want to personally invite you to attend.
This year, our theme verse is 1 Peter 4:10:
As each one has received a special gift, employ it in serving one another as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.
We will be examining different areas of stewardship at this year’s event. Stewarding your financial resources is one arena. Training your children in God’s ways through home education and discipleship is another focus. Learning to navigate challenging conversations with your family will provide tools for discussion. Strength and encouragement for your life and marriage will be offered.
We are hoping to equip you for multiple facets of life as a homeschool parent!
- We will be offering information on maximizing your budget with our keynote speakers Steve and Annette Economides, “America’s Cheapest Family.”
- Samaritan Ministries, a corporate sponsor, will discuss affordable healthcare. I’ve been a member of this group during a period of self-employment and highly recommend their service.
- Bob and Debbie Sjogren from Cat and Dog Theology fame will be speaking to the spiritual heritage we are looking to develop in our family.
- Dennis Gundersen from Grace & Truth Books will focus on areas of practical discipleship, like family worship and courtship and dating.
- One special session will focus on how to discuss gender issues and same-sex marriage with your children. Do you wonder what to say about Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner’s gender change? How can we discuss same-sex marriage? Benjamin Nolot from Exodus Cry will be tackling this important topic.
- Alpha Omega Publications has also generously offered to help sponsor this year’s conference. Check out their curriculum offerings in the vendor hall. And while there, tell them thank you.
- Rush and Kathryn Limbaugh’s foundation has donated 1,200 history textbooks to be distributed at the conference. I started reading it to my 3-year-old grandson; the next morning, he found the book and asked me to read more – even though it seems geared to middle-school aged. (If you get to the conference early enough, you will receive this $20 book for free at registration.)
During the conference, homeschool graduates and teens will be again running the MPEKids program. There will be crafts, skits, mob games, worship times, teaching, and a really big inflatable obstacle course. (The young adults running this grew up attending our kids’ program!) Your children ages 5-12 can be registered to attend.
Do you have a future leader in your home? We have 85 young people working in this group, run by other young people. These leaders are looking for replacements as they all know they will be moving on some day. Another 35+ young people will be registering all attendees, serving in the vendor hall to attend to the needs of those working in booths, introducing all workshop speakers, running the audio recording equipment during the workshops, and racing to pack vendors up and helping them load their trucks in new record time.
The MPE conference is nationally recognized for all of the efforts put forth by all these outstanding youth volunteers, your children. Thank you for lending them to MPE for a few days!
The Mentoring Moms are onboard again this year, ready with love, a listening heart, and chocolate. MPE board couples and others will be hosting a prayer/hospitality room during the conference in another area. If you would like special prayer or need someone else to talk to, look for signs to this room in the Holiday Inn.
There is something for homeschoolers at every level of experience at this conference. Many times homeschool families don’t think they need support or encouragement. After 30 years, though, we still need this help!
Please take the time to put this on your calendar now. The keynote address is Thursday, April 21, at Emmanuel Baptist Church in Overland Park. Then the event kicks off in earnest on Friday at the KCI Expo Center near the airport. (Make sure you pre-register by April 8 for the early discount!)
I hope to see you at the conference! And if you cannot attend but you want to benefit from the workshops, you can pre-order recordings from the entire conference for $50! (Save $30 off the regular cost.)