Thanksgiving – one of our favorite times of the year!
We’re thankful for many things, including cranberry sauce, turkey, mashed potatoes, and all things apple, pumpkin and pecan pie – yum! – but more importantly, we especially appreciate three things this holiday season:
- The right to homeschool.
In all the hustle and bustle of daily life, we sometimes need a reminder about how fortunate we are to be able to homeschool.
Homeschooling was only recognized as a legal option in every state in 1992, thanks in large part to efforts by the Home School Legal Defense Association and political action by thousands of pioneering homeschool families.
Even today, HSLDA continually monitors and defends homeschooling rights and privileges by advocating on Capitol Hill, in state legislatures, and on national media. That’s why we recommend HSLDA membership for all homeschool families (and you get a $20 discount when you sign up through MPE).
- Our members and volunteers.
Every one of our over 1,000-strong MPE member families is the reason why we exist!
From the original 17 families who decided to meet together in the fall of 1986, to the organization we are today, we’re always in awe of the dedication and commitment to homeschooling that flourishes right here in our community.
We’d be remiss if we also didn’t thank all our volunteers who allow us to offer our services and events, including:
- The young adults, all homeschooled or homeschool graduates, who volunteer at our homeschool conference.
- The mentor moms who stand ready to answer any questions from new or current homeschooling families.
- Our support group leaders, MPE librarian, and our Board and Conference Committee members.
- The event coordinators and volunteers who put together our women’s encouragement days, used curriculum sales, how-to-homeschool workshops and graduation ceremonies.
- Ways to pay it forward for other homeschool families.
Did you know you can help other homeschool families through your holiday shopping? This year we’ve registered MPE on AmazonSmile, where Amazon donates 0.5 percent of the price of eligible AmazonSmile purchases to the charitable organization of your choice!
We’ll direct any funds raised through AmazonSmile into our general fund, which helps support scholarships for low-income homeschool families and subsidize costs for our homeschool events (such as the popular Women’s Encouragement Day and Used Curriculum Sale).
What are you thankful for this Thanksgiving? Let us know in the comments!