Conference workshop coordinator needed
Purpose: The purpose of the Workshop Committee is to fill each workshop with appropriate subject matter. This committee oversees the complete workshop schedule, coordinates speakers chosen by the MPE President, Struggling Learner Coordinator, and Exhibitor Coordinator, ensures the rooms are ready, greets speakers, provides scripts for student room hosts to introduce each workshop, and records attendance at each workshop.
- Review previous year’s Conference Evaluation Wrap-Up notes, available from the MPE office or at the yearly wrap-up meeting, as it applies to your area.
- Attend Conference Committee meetings as scheduled.
- Submit a (verbal or written) report of the progress in your area at the conference meetings, being prepared to highlight key points.
- Contribute feedback to general conference committee discussions.
- Function within the budget for your area.
- Work directly under the Conference Chairman. Pray for other members of the Conference Committee, Volunteers, Attendees, and the Conference.
- After the conference, edit/refresh job description & task list, and email to the office for filing.
- Assist with all workshop speakers, topics, publications, general questions, and running the conference.
- Suggest and confirm featured speakers, coordinate contract details, execute speaking contracts on behalf of MPE for featured speakers and other paid speakers.
- Work with Office Manager to ensure speakers are reimbursed in a timely fashion by close of conference.
Helpful Equipment: Necessary – Computer, Printer, Internet, E-mail, Software used – Microsoft Word, Excel, Adobe Acrobat Reader. Fluency in using Microsoft 365 / Outlook online and participating in Zoom meetings a must.
Necessary Skills: This is a very person-oriented and detail-oriented position in order to keep speaker details and communications professional and organized. Excellent spelling/editing, attention to detail required. The right volunteer for this position will be a person who is good at researching speaker applicants to ensure they are in line with MPE’s mission and values, a person who can build relationships, networking via phone, email and in person, and a person who is able to spend approximately 2-4 hours a week, or about 80 hours a year, to build a good conference program and represent MPE well.
If interested in applying, please fill out the form below, check the “Conference” volunteer area as the one you’re interested in, and specify in the comments that you are applying to be our conference workshop coordinator. Thanks so much!
We are who we are today … because of you.
From the 17 families who founded Midwest Parent Educators to the more than 6,000 families we serve today, we’re here because people like you got involved in helping parents homeschool their children.
Aside from becoming a member, you can donate to our work, volunteer your time and expertise, advertise to the Kansas City area community, or just connect with other homeschoolers in the area. Whatever you decide, we’d love to have you join us!
Ways to volunteer
- Donate. Your donation helps us support children and families in the Kansas City homeschool community. It allows us to give scholarships to low-income parents and host events such as the Women’s Encouragement Day and Used Curriculum Sale.
- Advertise to the Kansas City homeschool community. The best way to reach our more than 4,000 email subscribers is to advertise in our newsletter, The Parent Educator.
- Connect with us. You can mail us, call our office, email, or connect via social media (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram and The Jump).
- Volunteer. Our volunteers are the backbone of our community. They’re responsible for the success of the annual homeschool conference, our Mentoring Moms program, the used curriculum sale, and so much more.
When you volunteer, you’re joining a special community!
Just a few highlights about our volunteers:
- Close to 100 young adults, all being homeschooled or homeschool graduates, volunteer every year at our homeschool conference.
- A dedicated team of 35-40 mentor moms stands ready to answer any questions from new or current homeschooling families.
- Our board of directors consists of several families who meet four times a year to plan MPE’s strategy and mission to serve Kansas City homeschoolers.
- Longtime members of our conference committee have planned and managed homeschool conferences for more than 20 years! Many of their children have grown up serving at the conferences and are now taking over the different responsibilities, such as coordinating exhibitors, facilities, and youth volunteers.
- Event coordinators do a fantastic job putting together our women’s encouragement days, used curriculum sales, how-to-homeschool workshops, graduation ceremonies, and more.