For those interested in a Kansas homeschool, here are the basic steps:
1) Research homeschooling in Kansas.
Here are just a few suggested resources to start your exploration:
- Homeschooling in Kansas – state laws (from the Home School Legal Defense Association)
- Checklist: Getting a Homeschool Started (from the Christian Home Educators Confederation of Kansas)
2) Register your school with the Kansas Department of Education.
- Register your non-accredited private school online here
- Looking for some ideas to name your homeschool? See 9 useful tips in this blog post.
3) Establish your homeschool program.
4) Become a member of Midwest Parent Educators (recommended).
One of the best things you can do for your homeschool is to find friends and resources to support and encourage you in your journey. It’s not a sprint, but a marathon!
Just $50 a year gives you membership that includes the following benefits:
- Free admission to our annual homeschool conference (a more than $60 value!)
- Discounts to our annual standardized testing for grades K – 11
- High school graduation ceremony (must meet certain criteria – call MPE office)
- Special discounts on attending our annual used curriculum sale
- Subscription to our newsletter, The Parent Educator, filled with local events and opportunities for area homeschoolers
- Access to our MPE Sisterhood Group
- Discounts to HSLDA and Women’s Encouragement Day
- Access to MPE membership Directory (free business listing for members as well)
- Access to Free donated curriculum.
5) Enroll with Home School Legal Defense Association (recommended).
Note: When you become a member of Midwest Parent Educators at the Family tier or higher, you can get a $15 discount on annual HSLDA membership.
6) Formally withdraw from the current school by phone, letter, or in person.
- Sample Letter: Notification of Intent to Withdraw a Student
- Sample Letter: Request for Release of Student Records
BONUS: Download our free eBook “The Definitive Guide to Homeschooling in Kansas or Missouri” for a comprehensive, step-by-step walkthrough!