Skip to main content
MPE BlogResources

FAQs About Homeschool Names

By October 5, 2022November 3rd, 2022No Comments

If you live in Kansas, you’ve probably heard about the requirement to name your homeschool. But what exactly does that mean, and how do you go about picking a name for something as common as … well, homeschooling?

Take heart – you’re not alone! We’ve compiled a list of the most frequently asked questions about homeschool names and answered them here for your convenience:

What are homeschool names, and why do I need them?

The Kansas State Department views every homeschool as a non-accredited private school. Therefore, it requires you to have a name.

names for homeschools in kansas

What if I’m just homeschooling my preschooler? Do I need a homeschool name for that?

No, not typically. The state of Kansas applies compulsory school attendance laws only to children who are between the ages of 7 and 18 years (they may be under 7 if they are identified as handicapped).

Important note! If your child attends a public school before the age of 7, they become subject to compulsory school attendance law. At that point, you will need to register your homeschool (with a name) and then formally withdraw your child from their current school, even if they’re younger than 7.

We recommend using a formal, handwritten school withdrawal letter. We have free letter templates you can personalize and use here.

I’m transitioning from public school to homeschool. Can I register anytime, or should I wait until summer break when my kids have finished the school year?

You can register your homeschool with the state of Kansas anytime, so no, you don’t need to wait until summer break.

You will need to make a formal request to withdraw your children from their school (see more on our “Homeschooling in Kansas” page).

Is there anything I should avoid in naming my homeschool?

Generally, it’s a good idea to avoid any names that are so ludicrous they may haunt your children’s school transcripts for years to come!

But you’re given a wide latitude, and homeschool names can actually be a great outlet for family creativity and fun. (See 10 great ideas to name your homeschool in this blog post.)

Can you change your homeschool name once you’ve started?

Of course!

Just go to the Kansas Department of Education’s website where you originally signed up. Under the “Registration Type” category, specify “Update” instead of “New.”

Do I need to re-register my school? If so, how often?

You won’t need to re-register every year. You only need to register your school, not your students.

For instance, if you add a new student to your homeschool, you don’t need to go through the whole process again!

If you move, you should update your school address. This is an update, though, not a re-registration.

Go to the Kansas Department of Education’s website and specify “Update” instead of “New” under the “Registration Type” category.

What happens to my homeschool name if I stop homeschooling, or if I’ve graduated all my kids?

Technically, nothing will happen – which is why the Kansas Department of Education requests that you let them know when you’re no longer homeschooling.

That way, they can mark your school as “Non-Active.”

This blog post was originally published in July 2015. It has been updated for timeliness and detail.

Shanxi Omoniyi

Shanxi Omoniyi (@ShanxiO on Twitter) is MPE's online content director. A homeschool alumna, Shanxi graduated from the University of Kansas with degrees in journalism and English. Her company, Wordspire Media, helps businesses and nonprofits share their stories through content marketing, social media management, and email marketing.

Leave a Reply