You’ve probably heard of Nextdoor, which is a popular social networking service for local neighborhoods.
According to their website, 1 in every 4 U.S. households has a Nextdoor account.
But did you know their “Sell For Good” program can benefit homeschoolers?
By using the “Sell for Good” program on Nextdoor, you can choose to support a local nonprofit such as MPE. (Just so you know, we’re listed as Midwest Parent Educators).
Conversely, buyers can choose to purchase items that will benefit a local nonprofit.
Nextdoor Sell for Good steps
For sellers, the process goes something like this:
- Log into your Nextdoor account and find the “For Sale and Free” section on the left-hand menu.
- Select the “Post a listing” button at the screen’s top right.
- Choose the “Donate your sale proceeds” button and pick your cause (in our case, Midwest Parent Educators).
- Connect with your PayPal account to complete your listing.
- Once your listing sells, find your listings under the “For Sale and Free” section, click the “Mark sold” button and follow the instructions for selecting a buyer.
- Confirm the final sale price of your listing and click “Donate now” to charge your PayPal account for the donation amount. You should receive an email with a receipt for your tax-deductible donation.
Nextdoor Buy for Good
Maybe you’re not looking to sell anything, but you’d like to help MPE raise some money while purchasing products from your local neighbors!
If the “Sell for Good” program is available in your neighborhood (and your neighbors are using it for listings), your main Nextdoor newsfeed will feature a section called “Buy for Good.”
You can scroll through this section anytime to view and purchase listings that support local nonprofits.
Other ways to help
Beyond the ever-popular tax-deductible donation, we’ve worked on a number of ways where you can give back to the KC-area community for little or no extra cost to you!
- Join us on AmazonSmile, where Amazon donates a percentage of the price of eligible AmazonSmile purchases to us!
- FamilyLife’s Weekend To Remember. Invest in and strengthen your marriage with a two-and-a-half day romantic weekend. You can save $100 off your registration with our group code: MIDWESTPARENT (make sure you sign up using our affiliate link).
- Discounted curriculum from The Old Schoolhouse. Any family who chooses to subscribe to SchoolhouseTeachers.com can join at a heavily discounted rate using this coupon code: MPEYR. We receive 25% of all sales when purchased through us.
- Notgrass History curriculum. If you are interested in (or already use) Notgrass History, please purchase through our affiliate link to help us support fellow KC-area homeschoolers!
- The Box Tops program.
We have updated this blog post, originally published in December 2020, for timeliness and detail.